REDONDO BEACH HISTORY
The written history of the Redondo Beach area begins in 1542 when Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo discovered the beautiful, sweeping Santa Monica Bay, however, it remained a sleepy Indian Village for more than 200 years.
As part of the 43,000 acre Dominguez Rancho, a Spanish Land Grant of 1784, Redondo Beach was a rich farming and grazing area until the late 1800s.
Incorporated on April 29, 1892, the City was already well served by rail and steamship lines and was an early Port of Los Angeles. The lumber and shipping industries preceded the Pacific Electric Big Red Car Line, which contributed to the reputation of Redondo Beach as a resort and recreation area for Southern Californias rapidly expanding population.
The opening of the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro ended the Citys shipping trade and the city grew only slowly during the Great Depression and World War II. During the 50s and 60's Redondo Beach came into its own and once again became a popular resort city, as well as a good place to live, work and play.